BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Hardware considerations for building dedicated backuppc server

2009-07-07 06:33:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Hardware considerations for building dedicated backuppc server
From: Leen Besselink <leen AT consolejunky DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 10:20:29 +0200
Stephen Vaughan wrote:
> The box isn't used for anything else..I can keep an eye on it tonight
> and see whats causing the load in those first few hours..
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com
> <mailto:lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>> wrote:
>
>     Stephen Vaughan wrote:
>     > I'm only running 2 concurrent backups. The disk is/was mounted with
>     > noatime,data=journal. I've changed this to
>     noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback
>     >
>     > I've also just enabled the checksum-seed option in rsyncargs. I have
>     > munin running on the box, it looks as though there is a bit of
>     iowait on
>     > the cpu, iostat doesn't look too bad to me, but I might be reading it
>     > wrong..
>     >
>     > I've attached some graphs which might shed some light..
>
>     The only thing that seems slightly strange in the graphs is the load
>     average
>     going to 12 as the backups start and staying there a couple of
>     hours.  Normally
>     that's the average number of 'other' processes that are waiting for
>     CPU but
>     otherwise runnable (i.e. not themselves blocked on i/o).  Do you
>     have other
>     things running that should be active at this time?  Idle daemons
>     wouldn't count
>     because they should be blocked waiting for input.

The load and waiting on I/O is definitly suspicious.

Maybe something like a cronjob running updatedb for locate ?

/etc/updatedb.conf holds the paths that should be excluded if you
don't want to turn it off completely.

As they are both doing a lot of disk activity it will slow down rsync.

I suggest having a good look at syslog looking for CRON and/or check:
/etc/crontab
/etc/cron.d/
/etc/cron.hourly/
/etc/cron.daily/