BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Hardware considerations for building dedicated backuppc server

2009-07-07 00:05:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Hardware considerations for building dedicated backuppc server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 22:57:45 -0500
Stephen Vaughan wrote:
> I'm only running 2 concurrent backups. The disk is/was mounted with
> noatime,data=journal. I've changed this to noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback
>
> I've also just enabled the checksum-seed option in rsyncargs. I have
> munin running on the box, it looks as though there is a bit of iowait on
> the cpu, iostat doesn't look too bad to me, but I might be reading it
> wrong..
>
> I've attached some graphs which might shed some light..

The only thing that seems slightly strange in the graphs is the load average
going to 12 as the backups start and staying there a couple of hours.  Normally
that's the average number of 'other' processes that are waiting for CPU but
otherwise runnable (i.e. not themselves blocked on i/o).  Do you have other
things running that should be active at this time?  Idle daemons wouldn't count
because they should be blocked waiting for input.