BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Hardware considerations for building dedicated backuppc server

2009-07-06 06:12:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Hardware considerations for building dedicated backuppc server
From: Stephen Vaughan <stephenvaughan AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 20:06:19 +1000
okay network is one I left out, but I don't find that to be a problem. It rarely goes above 30mbit. Our setup is a single box w/ Xeon dual core 2.4ghz x 2, 2x300gig 10k scsi (raid 1) drives and 4gig memory, Debian 5.0, gigabit ethernet.

We struggle to backup 4 servers each night, 453gigs / 7,807,318 files. Backup window is 9pm to 9am, and we just fit inside that each night. We do incrementals 6 nights a week and 1 full per week.

I'm thinking of upgrading the box to raid5 array with 15k scsi drives, more memory and a quad core cpu. It's difficult to know what is enough though..

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
Stephen Vaughan wrote at about 15:11:43 +1000 on Monday, July 6, 2009:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > In everyone's opinion, which resource(s) does backuppc rely on the most?
 > cpu, memory or disk?

None of the above. I find "network bandwidth" typically most rate
limiting.

Best Regards,
Stephen