BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Hardware considerations for building dedicated backuppc server

2009-07-06 12:09:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Hardware considerations for building dedicated backuppc server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 10:33:47 -0500
Stephen Vaughan wrote:
> okay network is one I left out, but I don't find that to be a problem.
> It rarely goes above 30mbit. Our setup is a single box w/ Xeon dual core
> 2.4ghz x 2, 2x300gig 10k scsi (raid 1) drives and 4gig memory, Debian
> 5.0, gigabit ethernet.
>
> We struggle to backup 4 servers each night, 453gigs / 7,807,318 files.
> Backup window is 9pm to 9am, and we just fit inside that each night. We
> do incrementals 6 nights a week and 1 full per week.
>
> I'm thinking of upgrading the box to raid5 array with 15k scsi drives,
> more memory and a quad core cpu. It's difficult to know what is enough
> though..

Running raid5 may make things worse even with faster drives - unless you
have a dozen or so drives in the array.  Usually your bottleneck is the
seek time on the drives and raid5 tends to make all the heads seek at
once and also causes some extra work on short writes where it has to
read the existing content first and adjust the parity.