BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] problems with linux host - Unable to read 4 bytes

2009-06-23 17:17:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] problems with linux host - Unable to read 4 bytes
From: Ryan Knapper <ryanknapper AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:12:24 -0700

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 13:40, Nick Smith <nick.smith79 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
Does anyone know if i can change the password to the backuppc user in linux
and not have any adverse effects with the backuppc system?

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Nick Smith<nick.smith79 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Matthias Meyer<matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li> wrote:
>> Nick Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, new problem, i cant get the backuppc user to work with shared keys.
>>> Ive added the /var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/id_rsa.pub contents to the other
>>> linux box's
>> in /root/.ssh I assume.
>
> yes into authorized_keys and _keys2 which ever one it decides to use.
>>

>> The password for user backuppc in the web interface can differ from the
>> password for the linux user.
>> apache compare the password against the htpasswd or htdigest file.
>> Linux, on the other hand, compare it against the /etc/passwd.
>>>

> If I dont know the backuppc user password, is it safe to change it
> something else?
> Ot will this screw up some other internal workings of backuppc?
>
> thanks for the help

It should not change anything, since the BackupPC dæmon is launched by root.  However, most installations intentionally do not create a password for the backuppc user for security reasons.  From root, running su -s /bin/bash backuppc should switch to that user without having to change anything.

Regarding your SSH key problem, what is the output when you run the following?

root@host# sudo -u backuppc ssh root@target

Does it ask anything?  If it fails, what is the message it returns?

--
[EOM]