BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backuppc_dump hangs server

2009-06-21 08:11:29
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backuppc_dump hangs server
From: error403 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 08:05:21 -0400
Hello,

I've run into a nasty problem. Every time I try to launch a backup for one of
my computers, the backuppc server hangs, and there is no more response
possible. I have to reset the server in order to be able to make it work again.

I tried many backup ways, such as rsync over ssh for my windows client, and
rsync for my 2nd linux box. I've noticed that when a backup is in progress, the
process backuppc_dump uses 100% of the server's cpu ressources. However, the
ram doesn't seem to be missing so I don't even think it's a memory leak issue.
My swap space is also nearly unused.

The backuppc server is a P3-1000MHz with 512MB of ram. It's getting pretty old,
yes, but I would just expect the backups to be slow instead of crashing until I
upgrade the box

What tests can I do to see what makes the backuppc server hang? (suggestion to
developpers, it would be nice to have some kind of "actual file, size of file"
info near the "backup in progress" status in the hosts summary ;)