BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc_dump hangs server

2009-06-21 10:53:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc_dump hangs server
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:47:50 +0200
Hi,

Matthias Meyer wrote on 2009-06-21 14:23:55 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
backuppc_dump hangs server]:
> error403 wrote:
> From your description I would believe you have to power on your monitor ;-)

I like that conclusion :-).

> It seems to become modern to ask for help without giving information about
> the problem :-(

Unfortunately true (not that it's a new phenomenon, but it seems to be
becoming more common). While it is often difficult to decide which information
is relevant and which is not (after all, if the poster new that, he probably
would not need to ask for help), I agree with the following:

> At least you should include three things into your questions:
> 1. name and version of your OS
> 2. versions of the used software (backuppc and rsync)

After all, if you don't think this information is relevant, you should not
be posting to this list, because it's off-topic. Both of these are necessary
to determine your exact BackupPC environment.

> 3. your name. How many messages do you find in this newsgroup with a
> nickname?

I assume he wants to be called "Error". That's fine with me.

So, to add my two cents to the original problem: from the information you
provide, I'd say it *is* in fact *not* a BackupPC problem. Your CPU seems to
be overheating. Do you experience any other crashes? Try running Folding@Home,
for instance, which is known to make a CPU run quite hot (highly optimized
code).

It could, of course, be a number of other things, but your information pretty
much guides us to this conclusion, so that's what you get (which is not to say
I don't believe it could be true).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger