BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc_dump hangs server

2009-06-21 16:26:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc_dump hangs server
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:22:04 -0400
error403 wrote at about 08:05:21 -0400 on Sunday, June 21, 2009:

 > Hello,
 >
 > I've run into a nasty problem. Every time I try to launch a backup for one
 > of my computers, the backuppc server hangs, and there is no more response
 > possible. I have to reset the server in order to be able to make it work
 > again.
 >
 > I tried many backup ways, such as rsync over ssh for my windows client, and
 > rsync for my 2nd linux box. I've noticed that when a backup is in progress,
 > the process backuppc_dump uses 100% of the server's cpu ressources. However,
 > the ram doesn't seem to be missing so I don't even think it's a memory leak
 > issue. My swap space is also nearly unused.
 >
 > The backuppc server is a P3-1000MHz with 512MB of ram. It's getting pretty
 > old, yes, but I would just expect the backups to be slow instead of crashing
 > until I upgrade the box

Seems unlikely that Backuppc is crashing your box especially since you
say your swap space is unused. It really is just a perl script that
calls standard Unix commands, operating as user backuppc, so it is
hard to see how it could crash a Linux system. Also, you say that it
doesn't use up all your memory or swap.

Now while a p3-1Ghz is slow, it shouldn't be much slower than the
dlink dns-323 boxes that people have run backuppc on. Are you sure
your box is "crashed" vs. just running really slow because of slow CPU
and minimal RAM (so more swapping).

One thing to try would be to run backuppc at a less privileged nice
level - also manually run BackupPC_dump at less privileged level. See
whether the box still becomes "unresponsive".