BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't browse bad directory name

2009-06-19 21:24:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't browse bad directory name
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:54:33 -0400
Matthias Meyer wrote at about 00:11:04 +0200 on Friday, June 19, 2009:
 > Chris Picton wrote:

 > >> In that case the directory either didn't exist anymore in the original at
 > >> the time backup #103 was made, or something is very wrong. What backup#
 > >> are you browsing / trying to do a restore from? #103 or #102?
 > >
 > > Ah - I never noticed the drop down to choose backup number.
 > > I chose backup 102 from the web interface, and the files are available
 > >
 > > Still don't know why the files are not there in backup 103, but since
 > > the drive is now dead, I assume that it was failing at the backup
 > > time...
 > >
 > > Thank you
 > >
 > > Chris
 > >
 > Is backup #103 in the file /var/lib/backuppc/pc/<hostname>/backups ?
 > If not, you can edit the file, duplicate the backup #102 and change the
 > number to 103.
 >
 > But make a copy of this file, prior ;-)

I wouldn't do that... it seems like something was already going wrong
with the disk when he did backup #103 since that file was already
missing. I would either restore everything from #102 and then
selectively as needed restore additional files from #103 or vica-versa
depending on which backup you trust more.

Editing the backup file  and changing backup numbers is likely to cause more
problems than it helps unless you know what you are doing.