BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't browse bad directory name

2009-06-18 05:36:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't browse bad directory name
From: Chris Picton <chris AT ecntelecoms DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:30:18 +0200
On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 18:34 +1000, Adam Goryachev wrote:

> Chris Picton wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I am trying to perform a restore of some important data, but have hit a
> > snag.
> >
> > Through the web interface, I can browse all directories except one.
> >
> > In the list, this directory does not have a backup number next to it:
> >
> >  Apps      dir 0755 103 0 2009-03-27 20:34:
> >  Documents dir 0755     0 2009-06-13 18:58:33
> >

> > If I create a tarball using BackupPC_tarCreate, that subdirectory is not
> > in the tar.
> >
> > However, on the filesystem, the directory is there in each of the
> > full/incremental folders, and have files in them eg:

[snip]

> > How can I either:
> > Rebuild the backuppc index so it can see these files
> > or
> > Copy these files to a restore location?
>
> If you have compression enabled, which it sounds like you do, then you
> should be able to use Backuppc_zcat like this:
>
> # file fpasswd
> fpasswd: data
> # /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_zcat fpasswd > /tmp/passwd
> # file /tmp/passwd
> /tmp/passwd: ASCII text
>
> Hope that helps solve your problem.

Thanks Adam - That does work for individual files.

I would prefer to be able to restore the full subdirectory tree  (taking
into account the full/incremental backups)

Is there a script which can scan the filesystem, and generate the
correct backuppc indexes, or create an archive of the files.

I have tried BackupPC_fixupBackupSummary, which says nothing changed,
and BackupPC_tarCreate, which does not include the required directory.

I have just noticed that the directory exists in all backups except the
most recent incremental:
find . -type d -name "fBel's Documents"
./93/fb$/fMy Documents/fDocuments
./98/fb$/fMy Documents/fDocuments