BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Scheduling archiving host

2009-06-12 11:48:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Scheduling archiving host
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:44:19 -0500
Boniforti Flavio wrote:

>> Just forget that the archivehost concept even exists and run
>> BackupPC_tarCreate directly in your script/command line with
>> the arguments and output pipeline  you want.
>> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#commandline_
>> restore_options
>> You can use -n -1 for the most recent backup, and
>> incrementals are filled to look like fulls.
>
> Thanks Les,
>
> what I don't see is what is meant with the -s parameter "share name
> *from* which the tar archive is created".

These would be the locations that you told backuppc to back up. If you
go to the host's 'edit config' screen and click the Xfer link you would
see one or more share names.  Or, browsing the backups, they would the
the tops of the trees in the left navigation. (If you only have one you
might not realize that there can be more).

> Would something like this be OK?
>
> /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h polti -n -1 /mnt/USB

You need to provide the -s argument, and the last argument is a filter
to select which files/directories you want to include in the output.
The output is written to stdout, so unless you want it on the screen you
need to pipe to another program (gzip, dd, split...) or redirect to a file.

> I was looking at the "original" commandline I posted, and the things are
> almost clear:
>
> /usr/bin/split = has to be used only if splitting archives (I don't need
> it);
> polti 36 = hostname and number of backup to archive.
>
> Following part is not clear to me:
>
> /bin/gzip .gz 0000000 /mnt/USB *
>
> Is this meaning that the tarball is gzipped? In that case, what are the
> parameter that follow the binary path?

The arguments to archivehost don't have much to do with
BackupPC_tarCreate.  I'm not sure, but I'd guess that those are the path
to the gzip program,  a template for how to build multiple filenames
(suffix and numeric pattern), a directory to hold them, and the file/dir
pattern match (*=everything).  You don't need to worry about those
because you'll construct the rest of the pipeline yourself in your
scheduled command so you can do whatever you want.