BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup only new file(s)

2009-06-11 09:02:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup only new file(s)
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:57:11 -0500
Mirco Piccin wrote:
> Hi all,
> i have to backup a folder (using smb).
>
> Every day (except sunday) a procedure stores in this folder a 120GB file.
> The name of the file is the day name.
>
> So, in a week, i have 6 different files generated (about 720 GB).
> Every week the files are overwritten by the procedure.
>
> I'd like to backup only the newest file, and not all the folder.
> The problem is that i suppose i must have a full backup of the folder
> (720 GB), because of $Conf{FullKeepCnt}  must be >= 1, plus
> incremental backup.
> So, configuring:
> $Conf{FullPeriod} = 6.97;
> $Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = 6;
>
> i'll have :
> on sunday the full backup -> 720 GB
> on monday the incremental backup  -> 720 GB (the full backup) plus 120
> GB (the new monday file)
> on tuesday the incremental backup  -> 840 GB (the full backup plus
> incremental) plus 120 GB (the new tuesday file)
>
> and so on, for a total of 1440 GB (the double of the effective disk
> space needed).
>
> And again, sunday BackupPC will move 720 GB of files, and so on.
>
> Is there a way to backup only the new file (maybe playing with
> $Conf{IncrLevels}), without a full?
> Or a way to optimize it?

I don't think there is a good way to handle this in backuppc.  Can you
change the procedure so the current daily file is created in a directory
by itself and older ones rotated to a different directory?  Then you
could do a full of the one holding the current file every day and store
as many as you want.