BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup only new file(s)

2009-06-11 14:18:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup only new file(s)
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:13:46 -0500
Mirco Piccin wrote:

>> Also, is each daily file completely distinct from the previous one or
>> is just incrementally changed? Because if it is just incrementally
>> changed you may want to first rsync against the previous day's backup
>> to reduce network bandwidth.
>
> My BackupPC is running on a VIA processor, max MB/s : less than 5 :-(
> So, backup 840 GB each time is not the best solution ...
> (this is the reason i did not configure the backup as you suggest)
>
> Anyway, each daily file is quite similar to the each other, so rsync
> (or custom script) should be the better way to to the job.

That won't help unless each file is named the same as the previous one.
Perhaps you could smb-mount the share into the backuppc server and move
the files around so you always have the newest file under the same name
in a subdirectory of the share for the duration of the backup - then you
could put it back if you want. That would let you use the 'some number
of fulls only' approach I suggested earlier and also transfer less data
(but the rsync CPU vs. network tradeoff may be a wash).

If you don't use some approach to just get one file in the directory per
day, you will probably run out of space on your 2nd full when you
transfer the current week's files before the previous full can be
deleted.  Or are you doing this already?