BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup only new file(s)

2009-06-11 12:41:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup only new file(s)
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:25:42 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote at about 07:57:11 -0500 on Thursday, June 11, 2009:
 > Mirco Piccin wrote:
 > > Hi all,
 > > i have to backup a folder (using smb).
 > >
 > > Every day (except sunday) a procedure stores in this folder a 120GB file.
 > > The name of the file is the day name.
 > >
 > > So, in a week, i have 6 different files generated (about 720 GB).
 > > Every week the files are overwritten by the procedure.
 > >
 > > I'd like to backup only the newest file, and not all the folder.
 > > The problem is that i suppose i must have a full backup of the folder
 > > (720 GB), because of $Conf{FullKeepCnt}  must be >= 1, plus
 > > incremental backup.
 > > So, configuring:
 > > $Conf{FullPeriod} = 6.97;
 > > $Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = 6;
 > >
 > > i'll have :
 > > on sunday the full backup -> 720 GB
 > > on monday the incremental backup  -> 720 GB (the full backup) plus 120
 > > GB (the new monday file)
 > > on tuesday the incremental backup  -> 840 GB (the full backup plus
 > > incremental) plus 120 GB (the new tuesday file)
 > >
 > > and so on, for a total of 1440 GB (the double of the effective disk
 > > space needed).
 > >
 > > And again, sunday BackupPC will move 720 GB of files, and so on.
 > >
 > > Is there a way to backup only the new file (maybe playing with
 > > $Conf{IncrLevels}), without a full?
 > > Or a way to optimize it?
 >
 > I don't think there is a good way to handle this in backuppc.  Can you
 > change the procedure so the current daily file is created in a directory
 > by itself and older ones rotated to a different directory?  Then you
 > could do a full of the one holding the current file every day and store
 > as many as you want.

Couldn't you just do daily full backups (with no incrementals) while
setting $Conf{FullKeepCnt}=1. Then as long as you made sure that
BackupPC_nightly didn't run in the middle, you would effectively just
be adding one new backup to the pool each day and later when
BackupPC_nightly runs you would be erasing the entry from 8 days
earlier, so you would never have more than 720+120=840 GB in the
pool. Now this wouldn't be particularly bandwidth efficient since you
are always doing full rather than incrementals, but it would work...

However, if you really are only trying to backup a single new 120GB
file every day, I wonder whether you might be better off just using a
daily 'rsync' cron job. It seems like that would be simpler, more
reliable, and more efficient.

Also, is each daily file completely distinct from the previous one or
is just incrementally changed? Because if it is just incrementally
changed you may want to first rsync against the previous day's backup
to reduce network bandwidth.