BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup restored missing + FileSys::SmbClient + File Size

2009-05-18 14:11:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup restored missing + FileSys::SmbClient + File Size
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: mhagnumdw <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>, dwouglas AT gmail DOT com
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:08:03 +0200
Hi,

mhagnumdw wrote on 2009-05-17 23:34:02 -0400 [[BackupPC-users] Backup restored
missing + FileSys::SmbClient + File Size]:

> Ok, I understand the issue of files. (your link)
> I have a PC running Windows and want to backup files. I'm testing the
> backuppc (in Ubuntu 8.10), copying the files from a shared folder using
> samba. You say in the link:

(actually, I don't. I haven't gotten around to adding anything to the page
yet.)

> One of the main incremental backup issues is that they do not detect deleted
> files. What a way around this?

You've got this problem (as well as missing new files with old modification
dates) with any backup scheme that has to rely on one single timestamp for
doing incremental backups (which includes most if not all tape backup
software), even if you do not realize it. From just a timestamp, it is
impossible to detect files that have been deleted, because they're just not
around anymore.

In BackupPC, the rsync(d) transfer can circumvent this, because a complete
file list is compared between client and server. For Windoze, I believe rsyncd
is still the method of choice. I can't help you with setting that up, but
there have been many posts on the topic in the past.

Regards,
Holger