BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem Backuppc Lenny-Ubuntu

2009-05-18 13:56:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problem Backuppc Lenny-Ubuntu
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: calamarz <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>, philippe.amice AT aubree DOT fr
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 19:48:55 +0200
Hi,

calamarz wrote on 2009-05-18 12:31:46 -0400 [[BackupPC-users]  Problem Backuppc
Lenny-Ubuntu]:

> [...] i want to backup my workstation via rsync, i follow this howto:
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/588
>
> My ssh connection work until password,

I haven't looked at the article you're quoting, but you should *not* get a
password prompt from ssh. BackupPC needs access to the remote machine
*without interaction* and *without extraenous output*.

> [...]
> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l backuppc debian /usr/bin/rsync --serverist+
> --senderist+ --numeric-idsist+ --permsist+ --ownerist+ --groupist+ -Dist+
> --linksist+ --hard-linksist+ --timesist+ --block-size=2048ist+
> --recursiveist+ --ignore-timesist+ .ist+ /ist+

Some global substitution went severely wrong there. You should delete about 15
instances of "ist+". Though I can't imagine how the $fileList+ would be
affected, except if the "ist+" somehow appeared while copying from the log
file ... ;-)

> Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
> Tried again: got 0 bytes
> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
> Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)

Passwordless ssh connections are definitely not working. From the logfile
excerpt above, I'd say you need to be able to run

        ssh -q -x -l backuppc debian date

*as user backuppc on the BackupPC server* and get *only* the current date and
time as output, though I'm not sure you'll be able to actually do backups as
unpriviledged user.

Regards,
Holger