BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Community Edition 3.2.0_beta0-1 RPMs now available from Zmanda

2009-05-11 13:19:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Community Edition 3.2.0_beta0-1 RPMs now available from Zmanda
From: Daniel Berteaud <daniel AT firewall-services DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 18:46:22 +0200
Le jeudi 07 mai 2009 à 16:26 -0500, Les Mikesell a écrit :
> Paul Mantz wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> >
> > BackupPC Community Edition3.2.0beta0-1 is now available for Red Hat
> > Enterprise Linux 4 & 5, and Suse Enterprise Linux 9 & 10.  To
> > download, please visit http://www.zmanda.com/download-backuppc.php
> >
> > BackupPC Community Edition automates the web configuration process, in
> > addition to including all the improvements found in BackupPC v3.2.0
> > (for more details, see Craig's announcement email.).  A full list of
> > features can be found at
> > http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/info.html#features
> >
> > Please feel free to contact us regarding questions, support for new
> > platforms, or any other concerns :)
>
> Thanks for providing a packaged version.  I realize it doesn't match
> RedHat's typical layout, but would it be possible to make all of the
> user-modified parts 'self-contained' under a single directory or mount
> point?  I like to periodically mirror the archive and rotate copies
> offsite, and it would be nice if this disk contained the up to date
> configuration as well as the data so it could be mounted in a different
> machine and be immediately usable.

Instead of modifying the package, you can simply create some symlinks so
the logs and configuration are stored on the data disk:
Before installing the rpm (and after having mounted the dedicated
partition in /var/lib/BackupPC), just do:

mkdir -p /var/lib/BackupPC/{etc,log}
ln -s /var/lib/BackupPC/etc /etc/BackupPC
ln -s /var/lib/BackupPC/log /var/log/BackupPC

I do this on a lot of servers so I can simply take the disk off one
server, and plug into another, and the data+config are immediately
available.
I don't use this rpm but the one in the EPEL repo on Centos 4 based
system (SME Server). I think it'll work the same way with this one.

Cheers, Daniel

--
Daniel Berteaud
FIREWALL-SERVICES SARL.