BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device

2009-03-26 10:23:42
Subject: [BackupPC-users] External WD Worldbook Device
From: "David Williams" <dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:03:03 -0400
All,

Up until very recently I have had BackupPC 3.0 working with my 1TB external
WD Mybook world edition device, which is connected to my LAN and which I
mount via cifs.  I recently had to upgrade my machine to a newer version on
Linux (Mandriva 2009.0) and with that comes BackupPC 3.1.

Once I had setup installed BackupPC 3.1, mounted my backup device using cifs
and restored my configuration files I started up BackupPC only to get the
message:

"Can't create a test hardlink......."

And BackupPC would not start :-(  Thankfully I have been able to comment out
this check from the BackupPC program and get BackupPC up and running so that
I can restore what I need from my backup drive via the web interface.

Under BackupPC 3.0 I never had a problem performing backups and I can still
access the backups that I have from the 3.0 version.  There are no error
messages in any of the log files.  So, did something change between 3.0 and
3.1 ?  Is there a way I can check manually by creating a hardlink on the
backups partition from the shell ?  Sorry, not a Linux guru so not well up
on the commands to do this.

I did take a look through the archives but nothing jumped out to me as to
the problem.  I would assume that since backups were working just fine with
3.0 that they should be fine in 3.1 and that my external drive is ok?

Would appreciate any help as I'd like to get my backups up and running
again.

I did do a df -i and got the following output:

Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
//192.168.15.6/public
                                116M    1.7M    115M    2% /backups