BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC possible on Amazon cloud and bare metal recovery?

2009-03-20 17:31:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC possible on Amazon cloud and bare metal recovery?
From: Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 02:55:16 +0530

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 12:36:28PM +0100, Omar Llorens Crespo Domínguez wrote:

> > I would like to know if it s possible to implement backupPC on the
> > Amazon cloud or any similar virtual hosting, so that local
> > storage/risk issues may be avoided?

The most basic questions for deploying BackupPC somewhere non-standard:
- Does it support Perl?
- Does the file system support hard links?

Tino.

It does seem that Amazon supports hardlinks because there are a few backup vendors selling backup services hosted on amazon cloud and confirming hardlinks are supported, though in my search I found no amazon links giving any info on this issue one way or the other.

While researching on this issue I found a similar offering called jungle disk, recently acquired by rackspace, which seems to offer backup services similar to those one would create at the amazon cloud at roughly one third the cost or lower is the uploading bandwidh is slow. In fact they offer amazon cloud as a storage option at a higher cost.

I think it would provide rsync type backup without the file duplication savings that backuppc provides, when more than one similar pc is being backed up.

Can anyone suggest a cloud or other hosted application which can provide backup using backuppc or similar option?

With regards.
Sanjay.