BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarPCCopy: "Can't find <file> in pool, will copy file" - why ?

2009-03-20 17:05:15
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_tarPCCopy: "Can't find <file> in pool, will copy file" - why ?
From: Fernando Laudares Camargos <fernando.laudares AT revolutionlinux DOT com>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:59:18 -0400
Hello,

I'm experimenting BackupPC_tarPCCopy to copy a particular backup (#) from a pc
to another file system and, while it works, there are some points that remain
obscure to me. I have made a search in this mailling list for topics related to
the use of this tool and could not find answers for my questions. I would
appreciate if somebody could help me with those.

Here's part of the command I've run :

$ ./BackupPC_tarPCCopy /data/BackupPC/pc/myserver/237 > /data/BackupPC/test.tar
Can't find myserver/237/attrib in pool, will copy file
Can't find myserver/237/fvservers/fbackuppc/fbin/fcp in pool, will copy file
Can't find myserver/237/fvservers/fbackuppc/fbin/fmv in pool, will copy file
Can't find myserver/237/fvservers/fbackuppc/fbin/ftrue in pool, will copy file
Done /data/BackupPC/pc/myserver/237 (1 of 1): 1813 dirs, 539 files, 19994
hardlinks

A quickly search at the /data/BackupPC/pc/myserver/XferLOG.237.z shows that, at
the time of this backup (the last one's #246), which's a full backup by the
way, the file was in the (c)pool, unchanged :

Got file (108 of 189): myserver/bin/true
/data/BackupPC/pc/myserver/230/fvservers/fbackuppc/fbin/ftrue cache = , invalid
= , phase = 0
Sending csums for backuppc/bin/true (size=11864)
Starting file 86 (backuppc/bin/true), blkCnt=6, blkSize=2048, remainder=1624
MD4 /data/BackupPC/pc/myserver/230/fvservers/fbackuppc/fbin/ftrue cache = ,
invalid =
backuppc/bin/true got exact match
backuppc/bin/true got digests a23b5fd416acfc365c0b81298f8c10ca vs
a23b5fd416acfc365c0b81298f8c10ca
backuppc/bin/true: nothing to do
  same     755       0/0       11864 backuppc/bin/true

Now, BackupPC_tarPCCopy says it's not there anymore and indeed
"a23b5fd416acfc365c0b81298f8c10ca" is not in /data/BackupPC/cpool.

Checking the last backup, the file still exists :

root@backuppc:/data/BackupPC/pc/myserver# ls 246/fvservers/fbackuppc/fbin/ftrue
-l
-rw-r----- 36 backuppc backuppc 6211 2008-10-14 18:00
246/fvservers/fbackuppc/fbin/ftrue

although with a different reference in cpool:

/data/BackupPC/pc/myserver/244/fvservers/fbackuppcbuck/fbin/ftrue cache = ,
invalid = , phase = 0
backuppc/bin/true got digests cc4400e1a1ab6333998170f57375120b vs
cc4400e1a1ab6333998170f57375120b

and, yet, as of today, it's not in cpool, at least not as
cc4400e1a1ab6333998170f57375120b.

* This is a binary file unlikely to change in time and that has been hard
linked 36 times, so why it is not in cpool ?

* In case the file is in cpool, as one would believe it is in there somewhere,
why BackupPC_tarPCCopy could not find it ?

* In the test.tar file generated by BackupPC_tarPCCopy there are both complete
files (allegedly files like /bin/true that couldn't be found in the cpool) as
well as references for files in the cpool. I've made a test with a fresh
install and after the first full backup all files have been moved to cpool (by
BackupPC_link). Why some of them have been removed from cpool after sometime ?
I would expect to find nothing but hard links in /pc...

* Am I missing something here ?

Thank you for your time and attention,
--
Fernando Laudares Camargos

      Révolution Linux
http://www.revolutionlinux.com
* Tout opinion et prise de position exprimée dans ce message est celle
de son auteur et pas nécessairement celle de Révolution Linux.
** Any views and opinion presented in this e-mail are solely those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of Révolution Linux.