BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] cloning the pool

2009-03-19 05:58:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] cloning the pool
From: "Koen Linders" <koen.linders AT koca DOT be>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:26:15 +0100
If you want an idea what isn't possible;

A year ago I tried copying a much pool much smaller too an USB disk than my
current (see lower), using a Xeon 2.8 GHz/1 MB with 2 GB DDR and it ran out
of memory copying via rsync -H

Somewhere in the mailing is other information.

Someone said he does an rsync on a 2million file pool worked perfectly for
him with 2 GB of memory. Not for me.

Now I stop backuppc at night and do: dd if=/dev/sda5 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4K
It works perfectly. I managed to copy this pool back to another server with
much bigger raid1 array formatted ext3 with same blocksize. And it works
with a problem afterwards afaik.

Pool is 235.52GB comprising 718235 files and 4369 directories (as of 19/3
04:12),
Pool hashing gives 121 repeated files with longest chain 11,
Nightly cleanup removed 6736 files of size 5.27GB (around 19/3 04:12),
Pool file system was recently at 61% (19/3 10:02), today's max is 61% (19/3
04:00) and yesterday's max was 61%.

Greetings,
Koen Linders