BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] cloning the pool

2009-03-18 14:50:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] cloning the pool
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:41:35 -0500
Matteo Sgalaberni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to clone the pool to a local disk attached via USB.
> I can't made it with a dd because the pool is on a raid volume
> that don't contain the pool only.
>
> Does it exist best practice to do this?

If you have a small pool and sufficient RAM, you may be able to copy
with a file oriented approach (rsync -H, tar, cp -a, cpio, etc). but you
have to take everything under the directory containing the pool and pc
subdirectories at once to maintain the hardlinks.   However, this is not
an efficient process so there are limits to the size you can handle that
way.  Above that, you would have to partition the raid volume and dd the
partition to a equal-sized partition on the external disk.