BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] FS and backuppc performance

2009-03-19 08:01:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] FS and backuppc performance
From: "Pedro M. S. Oliveira" <pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:56:18 +0000
With the amount of data I reported and number of files I just have 6% of inodes occupied so I don't think that is really a problem, do you use XFS for any special purpose besides dynamic inode creation? What do you think about recovery and maintenance tools for XFS. And least but not lest don't you have a bigger processor overhead with XFS?

Usually people tend to say processor is not important while backing up but from what I've seen if you have like 8 or more hosts backing up data the processor and memory are stressed up. if you have to manage a FS with a large processor demand can't this be a bottleneck?
Cheers,
Pedro M. S. Oliveira

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 19:30:33 Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 03/18 05:48 , Pedro M. S. Oliveira wrote:
> > What FS do you guys use recommend/used and why?
>
> I typically use XFS for backuppc data pools, and ext3 for the root
> filesystem. I don't want to run out of inodes like ext3 can do. :)

Pedro M. S. Oliveira
IT Consultant
Email: pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com
Cellular: +351 96 5867227