BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] My cpool and pool dirs are empty

2009-03-13 02:30:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] My cpool and pool dirs are empty
From: Steve <leperas AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 02:20:29 -0400
Actually there are a number of ways to change the archive directory,
as noted at:
http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/change+archive+directory
All are applicable to package installs too; you just have to edit some
things after the install and before you start backups.
Steve

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Adam Goryachev
<mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:

> Wayne L Andersen wrote:
>> Here are the steps I took, straight from my bash history:
>>
>>    313 yum update
>>    314 yum install backuppc
>>    315 mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc1
>>    316 mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb/
> This is your first mistake, you should mount the directory before you
> install backuppc
>>    317 vi /etc/BackupPC/config.pl
>>
>>   # I changed the line $Conf{TopDir} = '/var/lib/BackupPC/';
>>   # to $Conf{TopDir} = '/mnt/usb/BackupPC/';
> This is your second bigger mistake. You can't move the backuppc
> directory when installing from a  package. To fix this aall you need
> to do is:
> 1) stop backuppc
> 2) umount /mnt/usb
> 3) mkdir /var/lib/BackupPC
> 4) mount /dev/sdc1 /var/lib/BackupPC
> 5) mv /var/lib/BackupPC/BackupPC/* /var/lib/BackupPC
> 6) vi /etc/BackupPC/config.pl and change the TopDir back
> 7) start backuppc
> 8) You might also need to reset permissions on the above directories....
>>    318 cd /var/lib/
>>    319 mv BackupPC /mnt/usb/
>>
>> It is my understanding that mv preserves hardlinks so this should have
>> worked.
>>
> man mv
> You can only preserve hard links when both source and destination are
> on the same ffilesystem. This isn't the problem in your case anyway,
> your problem is that the package you installed with hard coded the
> topdir into some of the libs and/or binaries and so they don't read
> the value from the config file. (This is the same with all packages,
> it would be nice if all packages would put a big fat warning about
> this into the config.pl!!!!!!)
>> Just as a general understanding of how BackupPC works in a normal scenario
>> what hard links are created during the initial install?
> None
>> Is cpool or pool a hardlink to pc?
> no, the hardlinks are only created after a backup is complete between
> directory.
>
> Either mount the USB at the original point where the package expects
> it, or else read about "bind" mounts. See google for a reference
> (search +linux +mount +bind) as I forget the exact syntax. Whatever
> you do, don't forget to update your /etc/fstab file
>
> Regards,
> Adam

"It turns out there is considerable overlap between the smartest bears
and the dumbest tourists."