BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] My cpool and pool dirs are empty

2009-03-12 18:44:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] My cpool and pool dirs are empty
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:34:41 +1100

Wayne L Andersen wrote:
> Here are the steps I took, straight from my bash history:
>
>    313 yum update
>    314 yum install backuppc
>    315 mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdc1
>    316 mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb/
This is your first mistake, you should mount the directory before you
install backuppc
>    317 vi /etc/BackupPC/config.pl
>
>   # I changed the line $Conf{TopDir} = '/var/lib/BackupPC/';
>   # to $Conf{TopDir} = '/mnt/usb/BackupPC/';
This is your second bigger mistake. You can't move the backuppc
directory when installing from a  package. To fix this aall you need
to do is:
1) stop backuppc
2) umount /mnt/usb
3) mkdir /var/lib/BackupPC
4) mount /dev/sdc1 /var/lib/BackupPC
5) mv /var/lib/BackupPC/BackupPC/* /var/lib/BackupPC
6) vi /etc/BackupPC/config.pl and change the TopDir back
7) start backuppc
8) You might also need to reset permissions on the above directories....
>    318 cd /var/lib/
>    319 mv BackupPC /mnt/usb/
>
> It is my understanding that mv preserves hardlinks so this should have
> worked.

man mv
You can only preserve hard links when both source and destination are
on the same ffilesystem. This isn't the problem in your case anyway,
your problem is that the package you installed with hard coded the
topdir into some of the libs and/or binaries and so they don't read
the value from the config file. (This is the same with all packages,
it would be nice if all packages would put a big fat warning about
this into the config.pl!!!!!!)
> Just as a general understanding of how BackupPC works in a normal scenario
> what hard links are created during the initial install?
None
> Is cpool or pool a hardlink to pc?
no, the hardlinks are only created after a backup is complete between
directory.

Either mount the USB at the original point where the package expects
it, or else read about "bind" mounts. See google for a reference
(search +linux +mount +bind) as I forget the exact syntax. Whatever
you do, don't forget to update your /etc/fstab file

Regards,
Adam