BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to make a backup available as a backup basis for another client?

2009-01-18 18:32:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to make a backup available as a backup basis for another client?
From: Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms AT unige DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:30:28 +0100
I agree, I would separate initial cloning (better use plain rsync) and
backup operations (a case for backuppc). From what you wrote, I am not
even sure whether - once you have done the initial cloning - in steady
state you want to do "backup" (periodically take incremental or full
snapshots) or "synchronising" (make sure that file-system zones
correspond to each other - again, simpler to do with plain rsync).

For cloning, you could consider preparing a filter file for rsync,
probably using a simple script that collects file- and directory names
you want / do not want to transfer and that already formats them into
the format needed by an rsync filter file, and maybe than manually
review these contents to catch specific cases. If you write a filter
file, the sequence is important (to distinguish catching file abc and
file abcd).

The -t option of rsync makes it preserve the modification time, and the
-c option tells rsync to use checksum (does it use md4?) or size+mtime
to decide whether files are identical. And yes, handling of links is a
little bit messy to set up correctly.

Rsync is complex, idem the man-page. In case you want examples of
command lines and filter files to get a quick start, say so.