BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc on Lighttpd

2009-01-19 02:06:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc on Lighttpd
From: Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms AT unige DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 08:03:42 +0100
You are right - basic workload is no problem at all - backuppc web
transactions happen very rarely.

I have backuppc already running on apache, but wanted to have lighttpd
to get webdav in support of a local foxmarks server. Again, load is not
a problem, but the foxmarks documentation is very insistent that - on
the long run - foxmarks support will be better if webdav is used.

It looks like webdav can also be run with apache, but after some
googling I decided that documentation is much more solid for getting
things done with lighttpd - and, having no experience whatever in
playing around with http servers, I need good documentation. Now that I
am through a first step in the learning curve, I have the impression
that the perl configuration files for lighttpd are much more flexible
and easy to set up than the httpd configuration files - the problem with
starting a cgi server + loading all the style sheets in the same
directory is the only exception. An alternative would have been to run
httpd and lighttpd next to each other, but that would only have been a
second choice in case of excessive difficulties with lighttpd.

Concerning that problem, I have found a quite satisfactory workaround:
rather than calling the server with a URL that points to the directory,
I (.../backuppc), I used /backuppc/BackupPC_Admin.cgi as an URL and the
problem goes away. The user does not see this slightly "ugly" URL - he
uses a bookmark in his toolbar folder.

So, fundamentally the problem has a satisfactory workaround, but -
learning - the academic question rests: with lighttpd, can one use an
alias that goes to the directory and have all style sheets that sit next
to the cgi included?