BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to make a backup available as a backup basis for another client?

2009-01-28 02:11:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to make a backup available as a backup basis for another client?
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 08:08:55 +0100
Matthias Meyer wrote:

> I plan to backup (with rsync) some machines with nearly identical data
> (operating system). Because this machines are only reachable through
> internet I want to avoid a lot of traffic for files which are already
> on the backuppc server.
> I assume rsync will only compare the data between the client and the
> backup of the client and not between client and cpool!?
>
> So my idea:
> 0) create host1 with the backuppc gui
> 1) host1 runs a full backup
> 2) create host2 with the backuppc gui
> 3) cp -a /var/lib/backuppc/pc/host1/0 /var/lib/backuppc/pc/host2/0
> 4) cp -a /var/lib/backuppc/pc/host1/backups
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/host2/backups 5) run a full backup for host2
> 6) run BackupPC_deleteBackup -c host2 -d 0
>
> Someone believe that this will make a problem?
> If somebody is interested I can make a script
> (similiar the BackupPC_deleteBackup) and store it in the wiki.
>
> br
> Matthias
;-)
As outlined in the documentation:
su backuppc
cd NEW_TOPDIR
mkdir pc
cd pc
/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarPCCopy /var/lib/backuppc/pc | tar xvPf -
I should run:
su backuppc
cd /var/lib/backuppc/pc/host2
mkdir 0
cd 0
/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarPCCopy /var/lib/backuppc/pc/host1/0 |
tar xvPf -

br
Matthias
--