BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] how to make a backup available as a backup basis for another client?

2009-01-18 16:06:51
Subject: [BackupPC-users] how to make a backup available as a backup basis for another client?
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:01:45 +0100
I plan to backup (with rsync) some machines with nearly identical data
(operating system). Because this machines are only reachable through
internet I want to avoid a lot of traffic for files which are already
on the backuppc server.
I assume rsync will only compare the data between the client and the
backup of the client and not between client and cpool!?

So my idea:
0) create host1 with the backuppc gui
1) host1 runs a full backup
2) create host2 with the backuppc gui
3) cp -a /var/lib/backuppc/pc/host1/0 /var/lib/backuppc/pc/host2/0
4) cp -a /var/lib/backuppc/pc/host1/backups /var/lib/backuppc/pc/host2/backups
5) run a full backup for host2
6) run BackupPC_deleteBackup -c host2 -d 0

Someone believe that this will make a problem?
If somebody is interested I can make a script
(similiar the BackupPC_deleteBackup) and store it in the wiki.

br
Matthias
--
Don't Panic