BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] archive

2009-01-15 08:45:04
Subject: [BackupPC-users] archive
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:43:34 +0200
Hi There,

Ive looked around and in terms of usability compared to amanda and bacula, backup-pc is brilliant...

But Ive hit a few snags

I have quiet a few linux servers that I use rsyncd to backup from (security advantage of read only)
Because they are servers and perform different functions the pooling of files feature doesn't impact on disk utilisation.
This is all great and everything lands up in the topdir...

Here is the scenario.

I have 3 SATA2 drives all in drive bays.

Drive A - Onsite Backup for a group of linux servers for instant restores.
Drive B - Onsite Backup dedicated for one specific server that needs to be kept onsite but data seperate from the other servers.
Drive C - Offsite Backup meant to be a duplicate of Drive A that gets rotated weekly.

How should I approach this, There is quiet a large amount of data (close to 2TB each night) that needs to be backed up.

I've read that you cant split topdir based on server, so I cant send one server to Drive A and another server to Drive B.
File compression isnt a requirement.
Directory structure being kept intact would make sense?
Eg: what happens if the building burns down and the backuppc host you where using doesnt exist anymore, how would you restore?
The archive function allows you to tar... but the limit on a tar file is 2GB... which would meant it would split into 100 tar files... but then where would I be able to which file was in which tar?

Am I going about this in the right way, I know that amanda and bacula are out there but the backup-pc provides the right information in a simple to understand web UI.
Is there backup-srv?

Advice would be most welcome.

Kind Regards
Brad