BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] archive (with tape archiving script attached)

2009-01-15 09:22:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] archive (with tape archiving script attached)
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:20:28 +0100
Hi Brad,

[...]

> Eg: what happens if the building burns down and the backuppc host you where
> using doesnt exist anymore, how would you restore?
> The archive function allows you to tar... but the limit on a tar file is
> 2GB... which would meant it would split into 100 tar files... but then where
> would I be able to which file was in which tar?

There is no 2GB limit on tar, only for ZIP files. Or are you using
software from 1980ies? ;-)

> Am I going about this in the right way, I know that amanda and bacula are
> out there but the backup-pc provides the right information in a simple to
> understand web UI.

I have my BackupPC server generate .tar.bz2 archives from servers each
day. Bacula picks them up (actually, Bacula starts the archiving script
as BeforeJob) and saves them to tape.

It's time I publish the script - it's attached. Documentation is sparse
- just have a look. IMO the outstanding feature of the script is that it
has a runtime limit, so you get a guaranteed time your tape backup will
run/finish. And it figures out what host to archive next automatically.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de