BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] archive

2009-01-15 10:07:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] archive
From: "Jon Craig" <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:04:15 -0500
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:43 AM, Brad C <bradmailinglist AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:

> Drive A - Onsite Backup for a group of linux servers for instant restores.

BackupPC instance #1 (use vmware/vbox) w/ topdir on Drive A

> Drive B - Onsite Backup dedicated for one specific server that needs to be
> kept onsite but data seperate from the other servers.

BackupPC instance #2 w/ topdir on Drive B

> Drive C - Offsite Backup meant to be a duplicate of Drive A that gets
> rotated weekly.

This drive is a periodic copy of Drive A.  BackupPC doesnt provide
tools for replicating the disk so you'll have to turn to the OS.
Choices include:

1) use rsync to refresh the C drive once a week.  Note that this has
been problematic for people in the past given the large number of
files created.  Remember dedupe is accomplished through the use of
hardlinks between the pool and the backup "pc" directory.

2) use "dd" to perform a full dup of drive A to drive B each week.
Requires enough downtime of BackupPC to allow duplication.

3) use the volume manager to attach/detach drive C in a mirrored
configuration.  Still have a full silvering of data, but at least its
online and allows access to catalog w/ the understanding that the
drive is very busy and will have little performance left over to do
backup/restores.

This problem has been discussed much in the past. Check out the past
thread "[BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?"
and/or look for other threads as they exist.

> How should I approach this, There is quiet a large amount of data (close to
> 2TB each night) that needs to be backed up.

Given the network bandwidth and suitable BackupPC server I dont see
this as a problem.

> I've read that you cant split topdir based on server, so I cant send one
> server to Drive A and another server to Drive B.

You are correct, this is not a feature.

> File compression isnt a requirement.

No compression will result in faster backups with a reduced CPU demand
on BackupPC server.

> Directory structure being kept intact would make sense?

BackupPC keeps the directory structure logically intact, no physically
intact.  By this I mean you need to go through the GUI to browse an
intact directory structure.

--
Jonathan Craig