BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Status of fuse for viewing backuppc backups

2008-12-29 13:37:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status of fuse for viewing backuppc backups
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:35:18 -0600
Craig Barratt wrote:

> I actually believe having a FUSE implementation that supports writing
> would be the best way to support rsync 3.x (and any other xfer methods
> for that matter).  Assuming the performance was ok, the time-reversed
> delta format for storing backups that I'm planning for BackupPC 4.x
> would be most easily implemented with FUSE.

A slightly different approach would be to make an apache webdav module
with all the backuppc-specific parts.  An assortment of tools can access
that directly and you can mount it with davfs (still needs fuse,
though).  There is an implementation like this that runs over a
subversion repository for a similar effect. Subversion also has the
delta storage format - unfortunately it doesn't have a reasonable way to
delete anything from the repository.  It would be nice if there were
some way to map backuppc's storage into a versioning system, though, so
you could use the versioning tools to see diffs over time or between the
same files on different machines.