BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Status of fuse for viewing backuppc backups

2008-12-29 07:16:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status of fuse for viewing backuppc backups
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 04:13:59 -0800
Jeff Kosowsky" writes:

> I had been thinking of writing code to implement a robust fuse
> filesystem for BackupPC backups but then I saw that John Craig (and
> perhaps others) had started to write code.
>
> While the code still seems to be at the proof-of-concept I think the idea
> is very powerful and extensible.

I agree.  I've been following the suggestions and proof-of-concept
code with interest.

I actually believe having a FUSE implementation that supports writing
would be the best way to support rsync 3.x (and any other xfer methods
for that matter).  Assuming the performance was ok, the time-reversed
delta format for storing backups that I'm planning for BackupPC 4.x
would be most easily implemented with FUSE.

I've been working on various CVS checkins for a 3.2.0 release
(finally!), so I haven't had a chance to play with FUSE, other
than installing it and perl FUSE on my CentOS 5.2 system.

One question I'm curious about: if FUSE becomes a required part of
BackupPC 4.x, does that unduly complicate installation or reduce the
number of distros that BackupPC can readily run on?  I realize FUSE
is standard on recent 2.6.x kernels, but CentOS 5.2, as one example,
doesn't enable FUSE, and it was actually quite a pain installing it,
since the rpm package I found didn't install the kernel module.

Craig