BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsyncd - probability that it trashed my drive?

2008-11-20 19:14:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsyncd - probability that it trashed my drive?
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:11:49 -0700
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Eric Snyder <eric AT janasnyder DOT com> wrote:
Makes sense. New drive is in now getting formatted. I will of course, see what I can salvage off the old drive. This computer was a used computer off ebay and shipped about 6 months ago, it may have had some head slap in shipping. That is why I think lots of drive activity causing the existing problem to show up makes sense.

One more thing...THANK GOD for BackupPC! Awesome software! I appreciate deeply that I have a set of critical files ready to be restored on the new drive. Thanks Craig (and whoever else) for doing this project.

Thanks,
Eric

just to play devil's advocate here, you could also be looking at a bad chipset.  I cant recall if you said it was SATA or IDE but heat buildup in the case or a dislodged heatsink on some chipsets can lead to disk corruption.  Consider looking in the case after the system has been running for a while, is the chipset hot?  Is it too cool?  If it is too hot you may just need to add a fan.  If it is too cool your heatsink may not be attatched properly.  Also, power fluctuations in the power supply can lead to disk corruption.