BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsyncd - probability that it trashed my drive?

2008-11-20 10:17:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsyncd - probability that it trashed my drive?
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:14:39 -0600
On 11/20 05:18 , eric AT janasnyder DOT com wrote:
> Anyway...what are the chances that rsyncd was responsible for the drive
> going down by somehow scrambling the data or some other unintended
> problem? Has anybody running rsyncd on XP Pro machines had any other
> problems to report?

BackupPC puts substantial additional load on disks, because it forces them
to seek every file, and on a heavily fragmented filesystem this can add up
to a lot of head movement which would normally not take place.

So a drive which might have been marginal before, might fail when you do the
backup of it.

I've had this happen to me once or twice (once with disastrous consequences
when I found that the new external drive enclosure I was using for the backuppc
data pool was no good, so I lost the backup that caused the client disk to
fail, and then discovered that the LVM RAID I had been using to give me a
redundant client disk had stopped replicating a year before and not given me
any signs I recognized... fortunately it was only my own data, and not
someone else's that I lost).

So be aware that this can happen.

--
Carl Soderstrom