BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Different TopDir for different clients.

2008-11-15 14:40:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Different TopDir for different clients.
From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 20:38:30 +0100
Martin Leben ha scritto:
> Hi Oz,
>
> Read on...
>
> Oz Dror wrote:
>> I am sure that it was asked before, but I was not able to find
>> satisfying answer on the net.
>>
>> 1. How can I have different TopDir assigned to different client computers.
>
> No, you can't. Tell us more about what problem you are trying to solve
> instead.
Hi,
I have a similar problem and I would really like to have some advice.

I have several clients which are generally orthogonal (files in one
group will not be found on the other).

I am backing up to removable media (eSATA disks) rotating the disks
for added security.

I have a set of identical 500GB external disks.

Up to now I backed up just inserting the disk and letting backuppc
take over, then I replace the disk with another and, next time I have
another backup on the other disk of the set.

If no disk is inserted the scheduled backup is simply skipped because
the mount-point directory is not writable by backuppc.

So far so good.

Now my total backup amount exceeds 500GB.
I tried setting two different TopDirs (for different, orthogonal sets
of clients), but that, as you very well know, fails.
I do *not* want to have LVM, since that would mean a big hassle using
removable drives!

What is the "recommended" way to achieve this?

TiA
Mauro