BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Hosted customer backups

2008-08-29 21:00:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Hosted customer backups
From: Ron Fabre <ron AT cybersource.com DOT au>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:00:28 +1000
Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:
> Ron Fabre wrote:
>> 1. Each restore action should notify our accounts dep't so that
>> excessive numbers of restores can be invoiced to the customer.
>
> You can set $Conf{RestorePreUserCmd} to run a script before the
> restore operation:
> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#item__conf_restorepreusercmd_

Sounds good.

>> 2. Excessively large individual restores should be halted prior to
>> going over our metered Internet link. Instead an email should be
>> sent to our backup-admin (and to the customer) so that a CD/DVD can
>> be burned (or USB-HDD, whatever) and couriered to the customer.
>>
>> Presumably BackupPC doesn't currently do this but how feasible
>> would it be to build this in (or create a plug-in)?
>>
>> We've got perl developers here who are probably capable of coding this
>> but we may instead consider funding a developer who is experienced in
>> the BackupPC codebase.
>
> The pre-restore script could maybe also do this check, but I don't
> believe the size of the restore is one of the available variables.

If one of the available variables includes the filename(s) then it'd be
easy to check the size.

> There may be a way to find out though. Also I don't know if it's
> possible to halt a restore job from this pre-restore script.

But if the restore can't be halted then I'm obviously in trouble. ;-)

> This is the users mailinglist, the developers are on the development
> list I guess: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/backuppc-devel

Yep, Thanks. I rarely go direct to the developers before asking in user
forums or IRC channels.

cheers!
Ron
--
Ron Fabre . . . . . . . . . . . 1/130-132 Stawell St, Richmond
Product & Services Manager. . . P:03 9428 6922 .F:03 9428 6944

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would
pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" - David Sarnoff's
associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the
1920s