BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Hosted customer backups

2008-08-29 01:34:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Hosted customer backups
From: Ron Fabre <ron AT cybersource.com DOT au>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:34:33 +1000
Adam Goryachev wrote:
> You will probably just want to log the restores to a log file, then you
> can run some billing process at the end of the day/week/month/etc...

Fair enough

>> 2. Excessively large individual restores should be halted prior to going
>> over our metered Internet link. Instead an email should be sent to our
>> backup-admin (and to the customer) so that a CD/DVD can be burned (or
>> USB-HDD, whatever) and couriered to the customer.
>
> I don't think you should be providing this type of service over a
> metered upload connection .... If the customer has a fast connection,
> they may well expect to be able to restore "large" amounts of data
> directly.... and a dvd/etc is going to be much slower than a download...

The contracts with our customers will ensure this limitation is clearly
understood. Our existing backup service (home-brew with rsnapshot, etc)
has the same limitation and our customers are quite happy with it.

>> Presumably BackupPC doesn't currently do this but how feasible would it
>> be to build this in (or create a plug-in)?
>
> You could certainly modify the perl scripts to check the size of a
> restore before submitting it to backuppc, but that may cause other
> issues (ie, you don't know the size of the restore until it is completed).

Exactly. Hence my query.

> Also, be aware that any solution whether developed in-house or
> externally, will need to be easily maintained as new versions of
> backuppc are released (Sooner or later you will want to be able to
> upgrade, for new features, bug fixes, or security fixes...

We at Cybersource are very conversant with the relevant open source
licences and the benefits therein. It is very important that whatever we
do in BackupPC, or have done on our behalf, doesn't fork the code.

> Oh, and I would be interested in hearing whether people are using
> backuppc for the basis of a commercial service, and/or what
> customisation they did to it. Especially how they deal with backing up
> windows systems behind a firewall...

Me too.

> Just my comments .... Hope it helps...

Appreciated.

cheers!
Ron
--
Ron Fabre . . . . . . . . . . . 1/130-132 Stawell St, Richmond
Product & Services Manager. . . P:03 9428 6922 .F:03 9428 6944

The latest patch for IE is available here; http://www.ie7.com/