BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Hosted customer backups

2008-08-29 02:45:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Hosted customer backups
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:45:05 +0200
Ron Fabre wrote:

> 1. Each restore action should notify our accounts dep't so that
> excessive numbers of restores can be invoiced to the customer.

You can set $Conf{RestorePreUserCmd} to run a script before the
restore operation:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#item__conf_restorepreusercmd_

> 2. Excessively large individual restores should be halted prior to
> going
> over our metered Internet link. Instead an email should be sent to our
> backup-admin (and to the customer) so that a CD/DVD can be burned (or
> USB-HDD, whatever) and couriered to the customer.
>
> Presumably BackupPC doesn't currently do this but how feasible would
> it
> be to build this in (or create a plug-in)?
>
> We've got perl developers here who are probably capable of coding this
> but we may instead consider funding a developer who is experienced in
> the BackupPC codebase.

The pre-restore script could maybe also do this check, but I don't
believe the size of the restore is one of the available variables.
There may be a way to find out though. Also I don't know if it's
possible to halt a restore job from this pre-restore script.

This is the users mailinglist, the developers are on the development
list I guess: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/backuppc-devel

Nils Breunese.