BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Hosted customer backups

2008-08-29 11:33:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Hosted customer backups
From: Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:32:49 -0400
Adam Goryachev wrote:
> Oh, and I would be interested in hearing whether people are using
> backuppc for the basis of a commercial service, and/or what
> customisation they did to it. Especially how they deal with backing up
> windows systems behind a firewall...

I've been thinking about this, and I think it might end up being cost
effective to install 1 machine at the client's location to handle the
firewall issue.  That machine could simply run an ssh server and then
the remote BackupPC machine could use it as the way through the
firewall, using ssh port forwarding.  Or a full-blown VPN could be set
up using that machine.

Of course, having a Linux machine at the client's location opens up more
possibilities.  It could serve as a local backup server, running
BackupPC.  And/or it could be configured as a file server.  These
options turn the machine into a revenue generator for the provider, in
addition to making remote backups more convenient to perform.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.