BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] fileListReceive failed on centos 4.4

2008-08-20 16:15:21
Subject: [BackupPC-users] fileListReceive failed on centos 4.4
From: Matt Chandler <mchandler AT zyvex DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:15:03 -0500
All,

I've recently begun to BackupPC on my network, but I've run into an
error on one of the machines.  About 5 minutes into the backup process
the box in question errors out with the following according to the
BackupPC error log:

full backup started for directory /
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l backuppc sinope /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/rsync
--server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
--times --block-size=2048 --recursive --one-file-system --ignore-times . /
Xfer PIDs are now 26423
Got remote protocol 30
Negotiated protocol version 28
Sent exclude: /media
Sent exclude: /mnt
Sent exclude: /proc
Sent exclude: /sys
Read EOF:
Tried again: got 0 bytes
fileListReceive() failed
Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
Got fatal error during xfer (fileListReceive failed)
Backup aborted (fileListReceive failed)
Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior one
(got 0 and 0 files versus 0)

Here is the config for that machine:

$Conf{XferMethod}="rsync";
$Conf{RsyncClientPath}="/usr/bin/rsync";
$Conf{RsyncClientCmd}='$sshPath -q -x -l backuppc $host /usr/bin/sudo
$rsyncPath $argList+';
$Conf{RsyncClientRestoreCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -l root $host $rsyncPath
$argList+';
$Conf{RsyncShareName} = '/', '/u01';
$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/media', '/mnt', '/proc', '/sys'];

Both machines have the same version of rsync(rsync-3.0.3-1.el4.rf) and
it's only about 100GB of data.  There are machines with more that backup
without an issue.  I can ssh to the client machine as the backup user
from the server side without any problems.  I've seen some posts that
indicate this is a result of not enough ram on the box for rsync to make
a list of every file however the machine has almost 1GB of RAM cached so
I don't think that would be the problem.

Any ideas?

--
Matt Chandler