BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] fileListReceive failed on centos 4.4

2008-08-21 15:46:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] fileListReceive failed on centos 4.4
From: Matt Chandler <mchandler AT zyvex DOT com>
To: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:45:48 -0500
Les Mikesell wrote:
> Matt Chandler wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I've recently begun to BackupPC on my network, but I've run into an
>>> error on one of the machines.  About 5 minutes into the backup
>>> process the box in question errors out with the following according
>>> to the BackupPC error log:
>>>
>>> full backup started for directory /
>>> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l backuppc sinope /usr/bin/sudo
>>> /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner
>>> --group -D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048
>>> --recursive --one-file-system --ignore-times . /
>>> Xfer PIDs are now 26423
>>> Got remote protocol 30
>>> Negotiated protocol version 28
>>> Sent exclude: /media
>>> Sent exclude: /mnt
>>> Sent exclude: /proc
>>> Sent exclude: /sys
>>> Read EOF: Tried again: got 0 bytes
>>> fileListReceive() failed
>>> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
>>> Got fatal error during xfer (fileListReceive failed)
>>> Backup aborted (fileListReceive failed)
>>> Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than
>>> the prior one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)
>>>
>>> Here is the config for that machine:
>>>
>>> $Conf{XferMethod}="rsync";
>>> $Conf{RsyncClientPath}="/usr/bin/rsync";
>>> $Conf{RsyncClientCmd}='$sshPath -q -x -l backuppc $host
>>> /usr/bin/sudo $rsyncPath $argList+';
>>> $Conf{RsyncClientRestoreCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -l root $host
>>> $rsyncPath $argList+';
>>> $Conf{RsyncShareName} = '/', '/u01';
>>> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = ['/media', '/mnt', '/proc', '/sys'];
>>>

>>> Both machines have the same version of rsync(rsync-3.0.3-1.el4.rf)
>>> and it's only about 100GB of data.  There are machines with more
>>> that backup without an issue.  I can ssh to the client machine as
>>> the backup user from the server side without any problems.  I've
>>> seen some posts that indicate this is a result of not enough ram on
>>> the box for rsync to make a list of every file however the machine
>>> has almost 1GB of RAM cached so I don't think that would be the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> I should mention that I've gone through the mailing list archives and
>> it doesn't appear that any previous threads apply.  I'm using the
>> correct option for devices(-D) in both backup and restore options and
>> the logs don't appear to indicate any errors other than "it's
>> broke."  At this point, I'm not sure what direction to go.
>
> One thing that is always possible is filesystem corruption on the
> target.  Have you tried doing approximately the same rsync command on
> the command line to see if it starts (you can interrupt it once files
> start copying)?

I've tried running the rsync command from the log file.  It doesn't
produce errors, but even turning up verbose doesn't return anything useful.

[backuppc@sinope ~]$ /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/rsync -vvv --server --sender
--numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times
--block-size=2048 --recursive --one-file-system --ignore-times . /
FILE_STRUCT_LEN=16, EXTRA_LEN=4

Is all I get regardless of how long I let it run(including the
unprintable character).  If I check filesystem usage periodically, it
doesn't change, so it doesn't seem to be backing up anything.

--
Matt Chandler
Systems Administrator

Zyvex Instruments
Providing Nanotechnology Solutions ­ Today®

t: 972.792.1607
f: 972.235.7882
e: mchandler AT zyvex DOT com

w: www.zyvex.com