BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC producing extremely large error log

2008-08-18 03:23:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC producing extremely large error log
From: bernd.speiser AT t-online DOT de (Bernd Speiser)
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:20:27 +0200
dan wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure of the issue here but you could do something to
> stop the big file from filling up the whole drive and possibly catch
> some of the contents.
>
> make a new file that you will mount on loopback and direct the error log
> there.
>
> dd if=/dev/null of=/logtmp.diskimage bs=1M count=1 seek=100
>
> that will make a 100MB file
> then
>
> sudo mkfs.ext3 /logtmp.diskimage
> sudo mkdir /mnt/tmplog
> sudo mount -o loop /logtmp.diskimage /mnt/tmplog/
>
> adjust the entry in /etc/backuppc/config.pl that is
>
> $Conf{LogDir}      = '';
>
> change it to
> $Conf{LogDir}      = '/mnt/tmplog/';
>
> restart backuppc
> sudo /etc/init.d/backuppc restart
>

> --
>
> alternatively you could use user quotas on the log directory and limit
> backuppc to a small amount.

Thanks! All right, I will test these suggestions and then wait for the
next occurence of our problem, which could take a couple of days, even
weeks, since it happens rather irregularly.
I'll come back to the issue later, when I know more about the contents
of the log file.

Bernd

Bernd Speiser
Institut für Organische Chemie
Auf der Morgenstelle 18
temporary address: Auf der Morgenstelle 15
D-72076 Tübingen
Germany
phone: +49-7071-2976205 (office) +49-7071-2976242 (laboratory)
        +49-7071-2972098 (secretary)
fax:   +49-7071-295518
e-mail: bernd.speiser AT uni-tuebingen DOT de
Internet: http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/speiser