BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC producing extremely large error log

2008-08-17 15:48:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC producing extremely large error log
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: bernd.speiser AT uni-tuebingen DOT de
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:48:21 -0600
I'm not entirely sure of the issue here but you could do something to stop the big file from filling up the whole drive and possibly catch some of the contents.

make a new file that you will mount on loopback and direct the error log there.

dd if=/dev/null of=/logtmp.diskimage bs=1M count=1 seek=100

that will make a 100MB file
then

sudo mkfs.ext3 /logtmp.diskimage
sudo mkdir /mnt/tmplog
sudo mount -o loop /logtmp.diskimage /mnt/tmplog/

adjust the entry in /etc/backuppc/config.pl that is

$Conf{LogDir}      = '';

change it to
$Conf{LogDir}      = '/mnt/tmplog/';

restart backuppc
sudo /etc/init.d/backuppc restart

--

alternatively you could use user quotas on the log directory and limit backuppc to a small amount.

now the log file cannot overrun the disk, just fill that partition.  since it wont fill up the disk and lock the system, you should be able to look at the file and see what the error is.