BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups seem to work, but don't show up in web

2008-08-12 20:37:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups seem to work, but don't show up in web
From: "Alan McKay" <alan.mckay AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users <BackupPC-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:37:11 -0400
> Perhaps some people are being a little obtuse (ie, not as obvious or
> direct, or perhaps sarcastic)...

Judging by what you are about to say, yes, I'd agree.   Thanks Adam!

> Send the output of:
> grep -v ^\# config.pl
> to the list.

I'll stick it onto my website momentarily and post a link.

> You could also use some pastebin website to upload a portion of your
> logfile. I would suggest 1000 - 2000 lines would be more than enough to
> see what is going on. Probably just the first section of the file.

That's been done.  I'm now waiting (a very long time) for the output
of this command to paste up on my site :

[root@localhost rsync]# /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_zcat
/d/BACKUPPC/pc/alanpc/XferLOG.0.z | tail -2000 | grep -v "Got file"
|grep -v Receiving |grep -v "Sending empty csums" | grep -v pollChild
| head -2000 > /root/BackupPC.grep1.log.txt

> What people are trying to tell you is that we don't really care if you
> have a problem.

Someone cared enough to set up this list.

> If you want your problem fixed, and you provide
> sufficient information for us to easily diagnose, or guide you to a
> solution, then we just might spend a few minutes to give you the answer.

I'll do my best.  I've been trying to.  But the point I've been trying
to make is that at this point I really don't have much of a clue what
constitutes "sufficient information", and people being obtuse and
sarcastic isn't really being all that helpful in telling me what info
needs to be provided.   In fact, it's pretty much a catch 22.

This looks like a really great solution and as already mentioned, I
got it to work first time no problems at work and had it successfully
doing backups and restores of Linux and Windows boxes.   The only big
difference I can recall between the two is that at work I set it up
from scratch whereas here I home I used the FC9 RPM.

--
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends"
 - Abraham Lincoln