BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] One PC Very Slow to Backup

2008-08-01 19:12:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] One PC Very Slow to Backup
From: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 01:12:24 +0200
Ok, so to summerize:

You have a windows vista client that is connected via wired lan
(100mbit) and backuppc is configured to use rsyncd as transport mechanism.

I have never use the version of rsyncd from the backuppc-page but always
installed cygwin on the client machines, since it not only offers rsync
but also other usefull tools like a ssh server, netcat etc.

Since I started as newbie to, I've put some information about howto
install cygwin/rsync etc. into the backuppc wiki:

http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/CommonConfigurationIssues

Unfortunately this only applies to Windows XP/2000, you might have too
look at other places in order to install cygwin on windows vista.

What else you can try:

1) try to benchmark the network speed:

        On BackupPC Server:
        # nc -v -v -l -n -p 2222 >/dev/null

        On Windows client
        (make sure to have netcat installed) (cygwin)):
        # time yes|nc -v -v -n 192.168.0.8 2222 >/dev/null

If you have Netmeter (or a similar tool) installed on your client you
can now monitor the network speed.

Netmeter can be downloaded for free here:

        NetMeter - a small, customizable network bandwidth
        monitoring program for free! Never tried with Windows Vista
        http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

You can also calculate your network speed following this guide:

        Using netcat to test network speed
        http://deice.daug.net/netcat_speed.html

2) Try to use rsync without backuppc and check if you get any error messages

3) Start the backup in verbose mode from the server terminal with

# su backuppc -c '/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_dump -i -v CLIENT'

This will start the backup as user backuppc after entering the password
for your backuppc user.

4) Send us your /etc/backuppc/CLIENT.pl (server) and /etc/rsyncd.conf,
/etc/rsyncd.secrets (windows client)

Good Luck

- Kurt