BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ssh into multiple users on one machine? / using authorized_keys options / IRC channel?

2008-04-08 09:33:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ssh into multiple users on one machine? / using authorized_keys options / IRC channel?
From: Axel Beckert <beckert AT phys.ethz DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 14:57:05 +0200
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 12:54:42PM -0400, Ryan Manikowski wrote:
> The 'host' name is merely an alias. To define the actual IP address to
> connect to you can specify $Conf{ClientNameAlias} on a per host basis in
> the Host Config under Backup Settings. Thus you can have a host named
> 'user1laptop' but set the ClientNameAlias to the IP address that
> BackupPC should connect to.

Ah, that's what I need, thanks! I obviously saw thIS issue from
another point of view and therefore looked for the wrong keywords. :-)

> To handle the issue of them not wanting to allow BackupPC to have root
> permissions, create an unprivileged account named backuppc and use that
> to ssh into client machines via ssh pubkey. From there you will want to
> specify in the /etc/sudoers file that the backuppc account has
> permission to run the rsync command as root. e.g.
>
> backuppc   ALL=NOPASSWD:   /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender ?*

Right, sudo is a very good idea, especially since it's already
included on Macs and Ubuntu so the default argument against sudo
("what happens if there's a bug in sudo") can't count for those
users. (And currently our paranoid ones are either Mac or Ubuntu
users. *evilgrin*)

Only on Macs I need to use tar instead of rsync, since I found no way
to rsync Mac's resource forks correctly to a non-Mac machine. (rsync
and resource forks work fine between two Macs, though.) Will have to
figure out how many options can go into the sudoers file, but that
shouldn't be too hard.

> Hope this helps you out.

It does help very much. Thanks again!

Can anyone put this on
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/security.html? Would help there,
too. :-)

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 06:38:13PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Backuppc has it's own alias concept if you don't mind making each
> user look like a separate machine. [...] set $Conf{ClientNameAlias}
> to the real machine name [...]

Thanks, too. :-)

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 02:19:39PM -0500, Paul Mantz wrote:
> I registered the #backuppc channel on Freenode.  it's not too popular
> at the moment, but I'm usually in & out and I've talked to a few
> people in there.

Ok, so it's just very low traffic and I joined at the wrong time.

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 03:48:22PM -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> I joined it. I'm on Freenode all day for work anyway; so I might be there
> regularly.

I'm now there, too. Maybe not permanently, but at least for now. :)

Thanks for all the answers so far!

                Kind regards, Axel Beckert
--
Axel Beckert <beckert AT phys.ethz DOT ch>       support: +41 44 633 2668
IT Support Group, HPR E 86.1              voice:   +41 44 633 4189