BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Error: Unable to connect....

2008-04-07 14:37:44
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Error: Unable to connect....
From: Ashley Paul James <ashley.james AT uniserveteam DOT com>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:32:49 -0700

Hi all
My previous two post were answered pretty quickly and i have been impressed with the results, so thank you.

I am running backupPC on a ESX VM using an attached (via switch) LaCie NAS drive mounted using SMB. Being  a low cost drive this does not support NFS or Hardlinks or much else really.

The setup:
OS:Ubuntu
NAS mounted using smb
273gig backuppc.img file formatted as ext2 and mounted on /var/lib/backuppc (this is a 'work around')

The latest problem is what seems a very basic problem, Im am receiving the 'Error:Unable to connect to BackupPC server' on all my hosts when the .img file is mounted  as /var/lib/backuppc
As soon as I unmount the backuppc.img file from /var/lib/backuppc everything works fine.

These are my two mount points:
//192.168.10.70/backuppc on /mnt/net-storage type smbfs (rw)
/mnt/net-storage/backuppc.img on /var/lib/backuppc type ext2 (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)

And this is what I am running to mount these.
smbmount //192.168.10.70/backuppc /mnt/net-storage -o username=backuppc,password=backuppc,uid=backuppc,gid=backuppc
mount -o loop /mnt/net-storage/backuppc.img /var/lib/backuppc

I copied over the pc directory from the local /var/lib/backuppc directory thinking that BackupPC requires this directory, but this did not work.
I noticed that when I create files on the *.img file it uses root so i tried to run 'mount -o loop /mnt/net-storage/backuppc.img /var/lib/backuppc'  using username/password=backuppc but this did not work.

I feel so close to actually running  a backup. As I said earlier, one door shuts and another one opens.
Ashley