Amanda-Users

Re: Are you running snapshots?

2009-08-11 13:16:51
Subject: Re: Are you running snapshots?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:56:59 -0400
On Tuesday 11 August 2009, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>I'm curious to know who out there is running the daily Amanda snapshots.
>
>A *lot* of new code has gone in since the 2.6.1 release, and I'd like
>to see it tested now, rather than waiting until the beta process
>begins.  We've rewritten the taper to use the transfer architecture;
>rewitten all uses of the old taperscan algorithm to use the simpler
>and more explicit Amanda::Taper::Scan::traditional; rewritten several
>other applications to use the new Changer API; and added a new
>chg-robot to replace the crusty old chg-zd-mtx.  I'm working on
>rewriting the restore/recover applications now.  The idea is to
>completely jettison the old Changer API before the next relase.
>
>So, please let me know if the snapshots are working for you!
>
>Dustin

I have been following the 2.6.2 snapshots, usually within a day or so, for
several months.  You've heard about it when I have problems, which isn't
often.

Currently running the 2.6.2-20090805 snapshot.  The only problem is an Ooopsen
caused by tar, in the first minute thirty of the first run of amanda after a
reboot, an Ooopsen that is apparently 100% benign as it never repeats, and
amanda is not aware of it, the backup proceeds normally.

There is a regression filed against kernel 2.6.31-rc5 about this, but whose bz
number I do not recall ATM.  Ends in 899 IIRC.  Current uptime on that kernel
is 4d, 1:23.

I have been reducing the size of the vtape slowly, and the scheduler seems to
be coming into a balance of about 85% usage, so I just reduced it another few
percent, from 16GB to 15GB.  Drive usage is still just under 50% on a 1TB
drive so I could add more vtapes, but see no real reason to, 30 seems
sufficient.

Is it ready for prime time?  My guess is that it is, at least for me, in my
environment.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

We don't care how they do it in New York.